A summary of D's design principles

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Sep 19 11:47:23 PDT 2010

Justin Johansson wrote:
> Some of these features you mention are very worthwhile but I mean that
> that D does not offer any better OOP system amongst its contemporary
> rivals.
>
> To be well read on the subject of OOP models I can recommend this link
> to a well-articulated paper by Bertrand Meyer:
>
> http://se.ethz.ch/~meyer/publications/computer/taxonomy.pdf

The article was written in 1996.

It's just a taxonomy. Describing various inheritance schemes is not enough to
argue for their adoption. One must show that it neatly solves significant
problems that other schemes do not or can not.

Meyer's ideas have consistently failed to gain any traction. I don't know why.