[OT] File type on UNIX

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Mon Sep 20 09:04:47 PDT 2010

KennyTM~ wrote:
>>     True, but then, there is no rule that says that on windows a file
>> manager must use the extension. However, on Windows, all the file
>> managers I've tried have used the extension (actually, most of the
>> time they don't use the extension themselves, they simply ask
>> Windows to open the file and Windows uses the extension), whereas on
>> UNIX most file managers use the file contents (usually, they don't
>> use the file command, but instead rely on libmagic directly) and
>> most applications will ignore the extension when asked to open a
>> file (OK, some Windows applications do that too but on *NIX most of
>> them do).
>>
>>         Jerome
>
> Mac OS X is UNIX. Finder cares about the file extension (besides metadata).

most: You can use *most* to refer to the majority of a group of
things or people or the largest part of something.

One counter example does not invalidate my point. Especially when
the example is invalid: MacOS X is *not* UNIX. True, the low level
parts are UNIX-based, which makes it easy to port UNIX apps, however
that doesn't make the whole into a UNIX. In particular, finder was
ported from older versions of MacOS and inherits a large part of its
behaviour from those older versions.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr