Andrei's Google Talk

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Sep 20 10:37:25 PDT 2010

On 04/08/2010 00:18, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> BCS, el  3 de agosto a las 16:04 me escribiste:
>> The video is up:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlVpPstLPEc
>
> Nice talk, I think the guy that asked what is the biggest application
> written in D deserved a book. I'm suffering the lack of D applications
> for benchmarking the GC, I had to stay with D1 because Dil is the *only*
> non-trivial application written in D that I could find, and is D1/Tango.

Indeed. In fact, I think that was one of the more important and
interesting questions. And not just for the talk, but for the future as
well, whenever newcomers try to evaluate D. This a litmus test of sorts,
to see if everything in the language really adds up, and is in fact
useful and powerful in practice.

And I think it is important to bear in mind the distinction between D2
and D1 in this question. If you present D2 with all its nifty new
features and radical changes from D1, people will want to know what is
the biggest application in *that* language. They want to know if all
those features really and up, and if people are really using that
language. I think that if D1 apps are mentioned, that's ok, but it would
be best to note that they are from an earlier, simpler version of the
language.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer