A summary of D's design principles

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Sep 20 16:20:51 PDT 2010

On Monday, September 20, 2010 14:22:17 Jay Byrd wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:33:28 +0000, JMRyan wrote:
> > Simen Kjaeraas <simen.kjaras at gmail.com> wrote in news:i6stke$o0v$1
> >
> > @digitalmars.com:
> >> Here's a draft of something I'd like to see. I like having the ten
> >> commandments, with #0 not really counting. C&C welcome.
> >>
> >>                           == The D Manifesto ==
> >
> > Please don't call it a manifesto.  A statement of design goals or design
> > principles says, "This is what we want to do."  A manifesto says, "This
> > is what everybody should want to do.
>
> You're simply wrong. (Not just "technically", Jonathan.)
>
> -- JB

The dictionary definition and the common usage of a word are not necessarily the
same. It's not uncommon that a particular word is seen to have certain
implications to it that are not part of the dictionary definition simply because
of when and where people choose to use the word. So, people take the word to
have extra meaning beyond what it has per its dictionary definiton. Manifesto is
such a word.

- Jonathan M Davis