Andrei's Google Talk

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 09:29:46 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 16:45 +0200, klickverbot wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I guess I don't quite understand US copyright laws here: Here in Europe,
> if somebody accuses you of copying their work, they have to prove that
> you in fact did copy it. Let's assume that person manages to convince a
> judge that your code is in fact a copy of theirs. To defend yourself, it
> should not really make a difference whether you claim that you read that
> code or not.

I guess you are not a lawyer, I know I am not.  I wonder if you have
ever acted as an expert witness?  I suspect not, but I know I have.

> Even if it mattered whether you looked at the code or not (at least for
> Europe, I'm reasonably sure that it does not), how are you going to
> convince the judge that you didn't look at the source code? After all,
> for Open Source projects, the source code is publicly available at the
> internet, and if you did not write your program in jail or deep down in
> the ocean in a submarine, there is always the possibility that you could
> have looked at the code.

You are correct about the UK situation.  What an individual has done or
not done is not a primary factor, although it can be used in a
circumstantial way.

> As I said, I don't really know much about the US copyright laws, but if
> you are used to common European jurisdiction, this situation seems
> pretty bizarre…

There is no European jurisdiction in these matters -- at least not yet.
What happens in France, Germany, UK, Italy, etc. is independent until
such time that a directive is issued regarding copyright law.
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk