The Wrong Stuff

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Sep 22 17:38:39 PDT 2010

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/thewrongstuff/archive/2010/06/28/risky-business-james-bagian-nasa-astronaut-turned-patient-safety-expert-on-being-wrong.aspx

tl;dr: "Telling people to be careful is not effective. Humans are not reliable
that way. ... You need a solution that's not about making people perfect."

This article doesn't say anything about software, but I think it is very
applicable to programming and the design of programming languages. I often hear
that a fault isn't a fault because we can "educate" programmers to avoid the
problem. This article puts the kibosh on that. Errors that we can eliminate by
changing the design of the language, we should so eliminate (unless their costs
make the language unuseable, obviously).