Andrei's Google Talk

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 11:14:07 PDT 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:36:30 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> However, I am not Walter, so I can't say exactly why he doesn't read
>> BSD-style source but is OK reading boost-style source.  Maybe his
>> interpretation is different from yours.
>
> On the other hand, why mess with it? I don't want to argue with lawyers
> about what it may or may not mean, nor do I want to argue with customers
> who are suspicious about what it might mean. The Boost license doesn't
> have this problem.

You mess with it so you can use code from other projects that may help you
make DMD a better product :)

It's not like there's no gain from reading/using others' code.

One reason not to do it, however, is the taint issue.  There's a
possibility that BSD compiler code you read has similarities to code you
may write in Phobos, and if that's the case, the owner of the BSD code may
request that you put their BSD license in Phobos.  We've seen first hand
how ridiculously little evidence can provoke such an accusation.

-Steve