Andrei's Google Talk

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Sep 26 14:15:40 PDT 2010

Simen kjaeraas wrote:
> lurker <lurk at lurking.net> wrote:
>
>> A valid corner case example was given here: a hello world application.
>> A minimal hello world application is "Hello world!" + the bytes used
>> to make the syscall. The license text would bloat the executable
>> horribly. Thus, BSD isn't suitable for *all* commercial application
>> development. QED
>
> So how is business in the "Hello world!" sales line of work? :p

Our choices are for anyone distributing a D app, commercial or not:

1. require a --help switch printing the attribution
2. require an about box printing the attribution
3. require a string embedded in the binary with attribution
4. assure users that even though the license says it requires binary
attribution, we'll look the other way if they omit it and promise we won't sue
5. argue with lawyers about what the binary attribution actually means
6. argue with customers who won't use D because their lawyers were unsure of
what the binary attribution actually means
7. have endless threads in the n.g. discussing how the binary attribution
requirement should be satisfied by users
8. send lawyer letters to D users castigating them for not including binary
attribution

      -- OR ---

**** use a license that doesn't require binary attribution ****