Andrei's Google Talk

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Sep 26 17:00:23 PDT 2010

Juanjo Alvarez wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:15:40 -0700, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> Our choices are for anyone distributing a D app, commercial or not:
>
> Ok. I was not arguing for changing D's license to BSD but about not
> worrying so much about looking at BSD code or incorporating the
> occasional bit of code.  AFAIK the BSD license it's not virical or
> people using Microsoft network API should include the attribution, which
> doesn't happen. Same with GPL or LGPL code incorporating code from BSD
> or all the userspace apps on the Free/Open BSD OSes.

The problem is, the BSD license *is* viral. If I look at BSD licensed code, and
someone accuses me of incorporating bits of it into Phobos, then those bits must
  be removed or Phobos becomes BSD licensed and so every user gets infected with
it, too.

If you say "that'll never happen", consider that twice that exact issue has come up.

Linking with a DLL is not viral, but statically linking a BSD licensed library
*is* viral.