[contest] Is a Cow an animal ++

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 05:56:27 PDT 2010

bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> Simen kjaeraas:
>
>> Here's mine ( 8/11 at compile-time, the remaining at runtime ):
>> http://ideone.com/6WlFJ
>
> Thank you. It's a nice implementation, and it doesn't use template magic
> at all, it's fully OOP :-) Your implementation shows that there are many
> different ways to solve this puzzle. I presume a bit shorter code is
> possible using templates (as in the 4th C++ version).
>
> I have modified your code a little, I have added the missing 'override',
> I have added the required sequence ("there should be a way to handle a
> list of animals and the energy of each animal"), but there is no need
> for the name field because there is the classinfo.name, and I have
> shortened/simplified your (nice) test code a lot:
> http://ideone.com/TQzyD

That lacks the compile-time tests, though. The point of writing it the
way I did was to allow runtime tests if the problems were not caught at
compiletime.

> What's the purpose of using class names like "wCarrot" instead of
> "Carrot"?

Merely that I wanted to call them all objects, and that name was taken.
So I added a random letter, and wanted to keep a consistent naming
convention.

--
Simen