A summary of D's design principles

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Sep 28 10:22:09 PDT 2010

Jesse Phillips:

> This is exactly how it should be marketed. It has the productivity
> of Python, other dynamic languages, with the performance and power
> of a natively compiled language.

Most programmers are able to see that's very false, today.

The main and maybe only advantage of D over C# is that it's multi-platform. But today the Web is very important, and D can't be used in browers.

I think that if D wants a chance to not die as many other C-inspired languages have done in past, Walter needs lot of perseverance and to keep slowly improving D for 8-10 more years. When D will be "good enough" maybe some people will start to use it. But the implementation of D2 is currently far from that point.

Bye,
bearophile