A summary of D's design principles

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Sep 28 14:38:43 PDT 2010

Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:20:27 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 15:36:32 -0400, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:22:09 -0400, bearophile wrote:
>>> Jesse Phillips:

>>> Most programmers are able to see that's very false, today.
>>>
>>> The main and maybe only advantage of D over C# is that it's
>>> multi-platform. But today the Web is very important, and D can't be
>>> used in browers.
>>
>> I don't find it surprising that people here agree, when one is bashing
>> other languages. However, please consider that C# is *higher* level
>> language than D and that means it by definition has better portability
>> to multiple platforms. You already have a C# virtual machine for all
>> major operating systems. C# even runs on a browser
>> (silverlight/moonlight).
>
> How is C# higher level than D?

FWIW, I was talking about the language, not its implementation. Does C#
have access to inline assembler? Agreed, it doesn't provide many new high
level features compared to D, but it doesn't have all the interfaces with
raw metal. That makes it higher level language in my book. It's less
dependent on the hardware platform.