[database and libs] Re: Getting D ready for prime time

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 09:18:41 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 03:56:10PM +0000, dsimcha wrote:
>   d.  Basic database support.  I'd kill to have a D port/binding of SqlLite in
> Phobos, and SqlLite is public domain.

I have something, but I haven't touched it for a while now. Still compiles
though, at least on my box!

http://arsdnet.net/dcode/db.d

I've been just using my MySql binding <http://arsdnet.net/dcode/mysql.d> pretty
exclusively in recent months. I think it'd be pretty cool to eventually integrate
them into one interface. You can see a big difference between mysql and sqlite
in there right now though. My sqlite uses a (crappy, pre-phobos) Variant where
as the mysql just gives back strings.

I've been preferring the mysql method, with one exception: "" and NULL come out
the same way. But all in all, it is easy enough to just:

auto result = mysql.query("select id from table");
auto line = result.front;

auto a = to!int(line[0]);

In most cases anyway.

As to the main question here, I think D is plenty ready right now. I've been
using it almost exclusively for all my projects for a couple years, and in the
last ~9 months, almost all work projects too. The interface with C makes things
really easy; writing my own D libraries is as simple as

extern(C){
 // write the functions I need
}

// wrap them if the C API sucks

So the alleged lack of libraries is a minor inconvenience, at worst.