Is the world coming to an end?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Apr 2 16:20:35 PDT 2011

On 4/2/11 5:27 PM, ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com wrote:
> A D-newbie would probably be able to guess 0o for octal, but hardly
> octal!. octal! breaks the rule of least surprise.

I fail to infer how using the word "octal" for an octal literal is
surprising at all.

This thread is a good example that it's impossible to please everyone.
Although past discussions made it clear that most everyone found leading
0 a poor convention for octal numbers, now not only the consensus is
weaker, but some actually claim a different solution is superior. If
that were chosen, then all of a sudden octal!777 would have become
suddenly sexy and so on.

The grass is always greener on the other side...

Andrei