Is the world coming to an end?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 04:24:43 PDT 2011

On 04/03/2011 10:37 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> That said, I woudn't have a problem with 0o... being used instead (Although
> I'd actually prefer 0c...). But I have a hard time understanding why people
> are making such a big deal out of something that practically no one ever
> uses anyway. Consistency is nice, sure, but when it's such a trival
> corner-case as octal: Why even care? This isn't the color of the bikeshed,
> this is the *shade* of color on the underside of the trim on a window that's
> one foot off the ground and completely blocked by a big tree.

What I fail to see is the advantage of introducing an exception for octal.
Either it is left out of the language (including stdlib, possibly having around
a 3rd party hack for it), or the same pattern is used as for hex and bin.
A point is stating a threshold of usefulness. Seems nearly everyone agrees
octal is not worth it: then just say bye. If it kept instead because of
historical reasons (what I guess is the case), then just *fix* the syntax.
Introducing a feature (an exception) for a nearly useless notion is weird.

Denis