Is the world coming to an end?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 04:48:24 PDT 2011

On 04/03/2011 02:52 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Michel Fortin:
>
>> The new syntax is certainly usable, it's just inelegant and hackish.
>> Its your language, it's your choice, and I'll admit it won't affect me
>> much.
>
> My suggestions for Walter are:
> - To turn 01 .. 07 too into errors;
> - to deprecate the octal! Phobos template.
> - To introduce the 0o leading that works from 0o0 to the uint.max;
> - To change the new error message, so it suggests to use 0o.
> - To ask opinions to the community here next time before changing things in D2/D3 :-)

I'm very surprised of this move -- aside the concrete details. What I point out
here is how far sentiments about what is "obvious" or "correct" can be, for a
given issue, that most of us considered wrong for the same reason.

When I introduced the topic of octal notation 0nnn beeing bad, I was 100% sure
that (if a move was ever made) either octals would be thrown out of D all
together for beeing nearly useless, or the syntax would be fixed -- the
"obvious" "correct" solution if octals remain. While I new about octal!, this
was so hackish and obviously wrong *for me*, that I did not even imagine one
second it could become the "official" solution.
I'm certainly not the only one.
Questions of detail, sure, but we all know what the details hide ;-)

Denis