Is the world coming to an end?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Apr 3 11:22:15 PDT 2011

"Lutger Blijdestijn" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:in9t6a$21jb$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I don't understand why it is hackish if it's a pure library approach. (it
> is
> right?) I find it actually rather nice that D can do this. This is not a
> syntax change, octals are out of the language and the library now has an
> octal template. Where's the problem?

Apperently, people want to get a warm fuzzy feeling from the existence of
features they'll never use.

Seriously, we don't have an 0t... for trinary. We don't have an 0q... for
base-4 (quadrary?). We don't have any such syntax for any base other than 2,
10, and 16 (and previously 8). And how many people are bitching about those
omissions? Nobody. But those omissions are *EVERY BIT* as inconsistent with
decimal/hex/binary syntax as omitting octal is.

But noooo, apperently we *need* 0o... for octal just simply for the sake of
*it* existing, but not for any other base. So where the fuck is the
consistency in the self-proclaimed "consistency" argument? And don't tell me
"octal is more useful than trinary" because then you're implicitly admitting
that the consistency argument is a load of crap, and you're jumping ship to
the "usefulness" argument...which octal *still* looses.