Complete D grammar

Jason j.e.aten at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 11:52:43 PDT 2011

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:02:45 -0700, Luca Boasso wrote:

> A complete D grammar is one of the objectives of my GSOC 2011 ANTLR
> proposal, if I got accepted you will have one :)

Luca -

You might want to be aware that it appears that the dmd2 front end uses
Pratt parsing rather than being based on EBNF.  That being the case, it
might be much easier (not to say more useful) to specify the language
semantics in a more compatible format than EBNF.  If you've had sophmore
level CS theory, then Pratt's original paper is very readable, and highly
recommended.

Best,
Jason

http://hall.org.ua/halls/wizzard/pdf/Vaughan.Pratt.TDOP.pdf

;;;         Pratt, Vaughan R., ``Top Down Operator Precedence,''
;;;         ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
;;;         Boston, MA; October, 1973.