Phobos and dependencies

Jonas Drewsen jdrewsen at nospam.com
Sun Apr 3 14:38:50 PDT 2011

Hi,

   Currently phobos doesn't really have any dependencies except for
system libraries. Many of the GSOC projects discussed lately have
dependencies on 3rd party C libraries. So I think maybe now is a good
time to settle on how to handle new dependencies in Phobos.

Personally I would hate to be forced to have libSomeSpecialDomain
available on my system just because someone added SpecialDomain classes
to Phobos. In my view the standard library should only depend on system
libraries and libraries that are very common.

The nice thing about having domain specific packages/modules inside
phobos like SQL and Image support is that it works as a kind of
guarantee or blessing for the packages/modules.

My suggestion is to create a new phobos package called something like
'stdext' or 'ext' or simply use the existing 'etc'. The same people
accepting things going into Phobos would also determine modules should
be accepted in this new package. The new thing would be that all
accepted extension packages should be downloadable right next to the
phobos download (on d-programming-language.com / digitalmars.com). This
would make it possible to mandate some kind of standard SQL,Image...
packages without forcing dependencies into libphobos.

Good idea/bad idea?

/Jonas