[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 16:11:47 PDT 2011

== Quote from Matthias Pleh (matthias at none.net)'s article
> On 2011-04-03 21:05, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> * DFL  -> windows only, a way too .Net-like, is currently not very
> active (abandoned?)

Not abandoned, just updated very sparsely.  The DFL API is IMHO much easier to use
than GtkD, which is why I wrote the first version of my Plot2kill lib for it
before I ran into limitations I couldn't get around.  (These were mainly lack of
support for non-Windows OS's and lack of builtin vector graphics support a la
GTK-Cairo.)

I wonder how hard it would be to port DFL to Linux using Winelib.  Wine's gotten
pretty good lately, and the whole point of Winelib is to compile code that calls
the Windows API on Linux.  (Wine is for running Windows **binaries**, but it has a
companion library, Winelib, for **compiling** Windows API code to native Linux
binaries.)