[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:14:56 PDT 2011

Am 04.04.2011 01:11, schrieb dsimcha:
> == Quote from Matthias Pleh (matthias at none.net)'s article
>> On 2011-04-03 21:05, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> * DFL  ->  windows only, a way too .Net-like, is currently not very
>> active (abandoned?)
>
> Not abandoned, just updated very sparsely.  The DFL API is IMHO much easier to use
> than GtkD, which is why I wrote the first version of my Plot2kill lib for it
> before I ran into limitations I couldn't get around.  (These were mainly lack of
> support for non-Windows OS's and lack of builtin vector graphics support a la
> GTK-Cairo.)
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to port DFL to Linux using Winelib.  Wine's gotten
> pretty good lately, and the whole point of Winelib is to compile code that calls
> the Windows API on Linux.  (Wine is for running Windows **binaries**, but it has a
> companion library, Winelib, for **compiling** Windows API code to native Linux
> binaries.)

May be possible, but would probably look crappy - just like windows
applications in wine look crappy (as long as you don't have a win2k like
theme for GTK/QT so all your applications look like windows applications..).
This may be acceptable to port or emulate windows applications, but not
for developing new cross-platform applications.

SWT looks great (==native) on Windows and Linux/GTK (probably also
OSX?), so why not push DWT? Don't know what programming for it is like,
though.

Cheers,
- Daniel