[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:50:44 PDT 2011

Am 04.04.2011 01:38, schrieb dsimcha:
> == Quote from Daniel Gibson (metalcaedes at gmail.com)'s article
>> May be possible, but would probably look crappy - just like windows
>> applications in wine look crappy (as long as you don't have a win2k like
>> theme for GTK/QT so all your applications look like windows applications..).
>> This may be acceptable to port or emulate windows applications, but not
>> for developing new cross-platform applications.
>
> IDK why people are bothered so much by this.  I hate Swing only because it's so
> sluggish-feeling, but GTK on Windows doesn't bother me even though it looks
> non-native.  Similarly, I doubt DFL on Linux would bother me if I used Linux as my
> desktop OS.
>
>> SWT looks great (==native) on Windows and Linux/GTK (probably also
>> OSX?), so why not push DWT? Don't know what programming for it is like,
>> though.
>
> My only gripe with DWT is, AFAIK, it doesn't work for D2 yet and I've got too much
> other stuff on my plate to fix this myself.

I think Jacob Carlborg mentioned that he was working on that recently.
Also there was a commit to dwt2's hg 2 weeks ago by somebody else
("kntroh") "Update to compile and execute with dmd 2.052." so it /may/ work.

BTW: Besides looking crappy (which could probably be fixed with
theme-support) my main issue with non-native GUIs is that they don't
have standard filepickers.
The GTK filepicker allows to save bookmarks to directorys and not having
those annoys me. Furthermore those filepickers often just suck
usability-wise.

Cheers,
- Daniel