[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Apr 4 02:29:13 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-04 01:46, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On 2011-04-03 16:38, dsimcha wrote:
>> == Quote from Daniel Gibson (metalcaedes at gmail.com)'s article
>>
>>> May be possible, but would probably look crappy - just like windows
>>> applications in wine look crappy (as long as you don't have a win2k like
>>> theme for GTK/QT so all your applications look like windows
>>> applications..). This may be acceptable to port or emulate windows
>>> applications, but not for developing new cross-platform applications.
>>
>> IDK why people are bothered so much by this.  I hate Swing only because
>> it's so sluggish-feeling, but GTK on Windows doesn't bother me even though
>> it looks non-native.  Similarly, I doubt DFL on Linux would bother me if I
>> used Linux as my desktop OS.
>>
>>> SWT looks great (==native) on Windows and Linux/GTK (probably also
>>> OSX?), so why not push DWT? Don't know what programming for it is like,
>>> though.
>>
>> My only gripe with DWT is, AFAIK, it doesn't work for D2 yet and I've got
>> too much other stuff on my plate to fix this myself.
>
> If swing actually had a good-looking look and feel, it probably wouldn't be
> that big a problem, but it's ugly. Still, for a lot of people, the fact that
> something doesn't look native is a major problem.
>
> Regardless, SWT has a great solution to making the GUI look native and
> generally is extremely well-designed as I understand it (though unfortunately,
> it considers GTK to be native on Linux, and I hate the look of GTK). Pretty
> much every major Java GUI application that I'm aware of uses SWT, not swing.

I think the reason why Eclipse chose GTK and not Qt is the previous
license issues, GPL and EPL is not compatible. Now this is no longer a
problem and I've heard that someone is working on a Qt port of SWT,
don't know the status. Anyone is also free to make a Qt port of DWT.

> It would certainly be great if DWT were brought up-to-date at some point, but
> personally, I'm far more likely to pick qtd if I do a GUI application, simply
> because I use KDE, and qtd would look native on my desktop and generally
> integrate better (and it would still be cross platform). I don't do much in
> the way of GUI applications though.

Have a look at my answer to dsimcha.

--
/Jacob Carlborg