[GSOC] Database API draft proposal

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Mon Apr 4 03:51:44 PDT 2011

On 4-apr-11, at 02:01, Piotr Szturmaj wrote:

> Fawzi Mohamed wrote:
>> [...]
>> I think that your responses are very relevant, as it seems to me that
>> your work is nice, and I find that if a GSoC is done in that
>> direction
>> it should definitely work together with the good work that is already
>> done, let's don't create multiple competing projects if people are
>> willing to work together.
>
> I'm ready to cooperate :)

great :)

>>> If you mean statically or dynamically typed data row then I can
>>> say my
>>> DBRow support both.
>>
>> yes but as I said I find the support for dynamic data rows weak.
>
> I've just added row["column"] bracket syntax for dynamic rows.

excellent, ideally that should work also for untyped, because one
wants to be able to switch to a typed Row without needing to change
its code (and it should work exactly the same, so the typed rows will
need to wrap things in Variants when using that interface).

>>> I'm using struct, because I think row received from database is a
>>> value type rather than reference. If one selects rows from one table
>>> then yes, it is possible to do some referencing based on primary
>>> key,
>>> but anyway I think updates should be done explicitly, because row
>>> could be deleted in the meantime. In more complex queries, not all
>>> of
>>> selected rows are materialized, i.e. they may be from computed
>>> columns, view columns, aggregate functions and so on. Allocation
>>> overhead is also lower for structs.

>>> Table specific classes may be written by user and somehow wrap
>>> underlying row type.
>>
>> well with the current approach it is ugly because your calls would be
>> another type, thus either you remove all typing or you can't have
>> generic functions, accepting rows, everything has to be a template,
>> looping on a table or a row you always need a template.
>>

> Could you elaborate? I don't know what do you mean.

Well I am not totally sure either, having the row handle better the
dynamic case i already a nice step forward, I still fear that we will
have problems with the ORM level, I am not 100% sure, that is the
reason I would like to try to flesh out the ORM level a bit more.
I would likethat one can loop on all the tables and for each one get
the either the generic or the specialized object depending on what is
needed.
If one wants to have business logic in the specialized object it
should be difficult to bypass them.
Maybe I am asking too much and the ORM level should never expose the
rows directly, because if we use structs we cannot have a common type
representing a generic row of a DB which might be specialized or not
(without major hacking).

>>> My PostgreSQL client already supports that. Class PGCommand has
>>> member
>>> "fields", which contain information about returned columns. You can
>>> even check what columns will be returned from a query, before
>>> actually
>>> executing it.
>>
>> ok that is nice, and my point is that the type that the user sees by
>> default should automatically take advantage of that

>>> This is a problem for ORM, but at first, we need standard query API.
>>
>> I am not so sure about this, yes these (also classes for tables) are
>> part of the ORM, but the normal users will more often be at the ORM
>> level I think, and how exactly we want the things look like that the
>> object level can influence the choice of the best low level
>> interface.
>
> A "defined" DBRow or static one, if used on result which has inequal
> number of columns or their types aren't convertible to row fields
> then it's an error. But, if someone uses a static fields, he should
> also take care that the query result is consistent with those fields.

For example doe we want lazy loading of an object from the db? if yes
how we represent it with current Rows objects?

>>> First, I'm preparing base "traditional" API. Then I want to write
>>> simple object-relational mapping. I've already written some code
>>> that
>>> generated CREATE TABLE for structs at compile time. Static typing of
>>> row fields is very helpful here.
>>
>> Very good I think that working on getting the API right there and
>> having
>> it nice to use is important.
>> Maybe you are right and the current DBRow is indeed the best
>> abstraction, but I am not yet 100% sure, to me it looks like it isn't
>> the best end user abstraction (but it might be an excellent low level
>> object)
>>

> I should state here, that end-user usability is very important to
> me. I should also clarify that my code isn't completely finished and
> of course it is a subject to change. Any suggestions and critics are
> welcome :)

very good :)