Is the world coming to an end?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Apr 4 11:43:31 PDT 2011

"spir" <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.3141.1301915290.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 04/04/2011 07:26 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> As far as LDC2, LLVM's uselessness on windows is a bit of a showstopper
>> for
>> many people. And the LLVM project doesn't appear to be interested in
>> doing
>> much about it. (Note I didn't say they *aren't* interested in getting it
>> working. That's not something I could even pretend to know. I'm just
>> saying
>> that, at the very least, it *looks* like they don't care. And, for better
>> or
>> worse, perception does count for a lot.)
>
> Yop, too bad. Else, LLVM could be the one target of choice for many PL's
> "reference" implementation. I'd like to know rationales.

AIUI, the standard explanation is that exception support on Windows requires
SEH which is covered by a patent owned by Borland/Microsoft. But I have a
hard time buying that explanation because non-MS compilers like GCC and DMC
support exceptions on windows just fine - so why not LLVM, too?

I hate to make accusations of impropriety without proper evidence, but Apple
is known to be a major backer of LLVM. Obviously that doesn't prove anything
at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if that at least had *something* to do
with it (although specifically *what*, I could only speculate).