GUI library for D

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 14:34:21 PDT 2011

Am 04.04.2011 23:27, schrieb Matthias Pleh:
> was: [GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian
>
> To preventing losing this thread, I have created a new one ...
> Additional, I've added a license column on the GuiLibraries-table on the
> wiki.
>
> So, let me summarize my thoughts, why I think a good Gui library is
> important for the D community.
> I'm working for an enginge builder company. Our product is mainly
> mechanical, but also has a software part, which is created and
> maintained by a 16 (and growing) man team. Our softwareproduct is mainly
> server-side and timecritical, written in C++/MFC and very old. We've
> decided to create it new from scratch. As a member of the design team of
> this new project I've tried to inturoduce D for this. But it was
> impossible to assure the others. The main counter-argument was the lack
> of a good D-Gui library, though the main part is serverside, but the
> client-side GUI have to be written in the same language.
>
> This were the requirments for the GUI library:
> - Corss-platform (Win/linux)

Don't forget Mac OSX.
Also note that on Linux there are two widely used toolkits, GTK and Qt,
and that QT is better in emulating GTK than the other way round (you can
let GTK use the current QT theme or something, but it'll still use the
GTK filepicker etc. QT's GTK emulation is better and uses the real GTK
filepicker).

> - not just a port, but adjusted to the language
> - mostly written in this language, so you can easy debug the lib,
>   this means no wrapper library, just system libraries
>   (Though gtk+ on linux would hold as a system library so GtkD for linux
> would be OK, but not on Windows!
> - obviously suitable license for a commercial product
>
> Unfortunately All known GUI-libraries for D fails on this requirments
> So the choice has fallen to C++/Qt
>
> I would like to fill this gap and create a really good D GUI library
>
> Any thoughts, comments ... ?
>

> °Matthias

I don't know if wee need yet another GUI library.
Are you sure Qt and DWT aren't good enough?

Cheers,
- Daniel