GUI library for D

Matthias Pleh jens at konrad.net
Mon Apr 4 14:51:46 PDT 2011

Am 04.04.2011 23:34, schrieb Daniel Gibson:
> Am 04.04.2011 23:27, schrieb Matthias Pleh:
>> was: [GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

[snip]

>> This were the requirments for the GUI library:
>> - Corss-platform (Win/linux)
>
> Don't forget Mac OSX.
I just listed the requirments in our company, but you're rigth. We must
support at least the three main platforms Win/linux/OSX

> Also note that on Linux there are two widely used toolkits, GTK and Qt,
> and that QT is better in emulating GTK than the other way round (you can
> let GTK use the current QT theme or something, but it'll still use the
> GTK filepicker etc. QT's GTK emulation is better and uses the real GTK
> filepicker).
that's true

[snip]

> I don't know if wee need yet another GUI library.
I have not said, that it must be create a completly new library.
We just have to find out, what are the requirments for the D community,
and how can we achieve that.
Whe have mainly 4 options:
- support an existing project and help to meet our requirments
- fork an existing project and advance it to our requirments
- port a library from another language and advance it, to meet better
   the D coding style
- create a new library (which also can be based on a older abandoned
   project)

> Are you sure Qt and DWT aren't good enough?
As I mentioned in my post, I couldn't assure the others. Not every
decision-maker base his decisions on pure technical arguments, sometimes
it's just his gut feeling or the cleaning lady's advice, who knows :)

°Matthias