GUI library for D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Apr 4 16:16:27 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-04 15:41, Matthias Pleh wrote:
> Am 05.04.2011 00:14, schrieb Daniel Gibson:
> > Maybe your company could help the DWT or QtD guys?
> > Getting something stable out of that would most probably not take as
> > long as developing your own cross-platform GUI toolkit.
> > Furthermore many people are already familiar with SWT and Qt, so they
> > wouldn't have to learn another toolkit for D.
>
> You have missed the point. For our company the decision is made. We
> already use C++/Qt now.
> But I really like the D programming language and I use it for all my
> private projects. So I think, we, as the D community, should create a
> modern D GUI library entirely written in D.

Feel free to do that if you want, but I think that most people around here
would agree that your time would be better spent improving the existing GUI
toolkit bindings - such as qtd or dwt. A _lot_ of time and effort goes into
making a truly solid and complete GUI toolkit. Why duplicate all of that work?
There's just too much else that needs to be done for D. And even if we _want_
duplicate that work with a GUI toolkit which is completely written in D, you'd
need a large team to develop it properly. And given the general difficulties
in getting contributors for the various major D projects, I rather doubt that
you're going to manage that.

So, do whatever you want, but I really don't think that developing a new GUI
toolkit for D is really the best use of your time. There's plenty of other
stuff that needs doing which would be of greater value.

- Jonathan M Davis