GUI library for D

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Apr 4 16:41:09 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-04 17:27:05 -0400, Matthias Pleh <jens at konrad.net> said:

> I would like to fill this gap and create a really good D GUI library
>
> Any thoughts, comments ... ?

Just an observation...

Cross platform libraries are fine, but they generally aren't very great
either. They'll always stretch in one way or another the standard way
to do things when put on a given platform. The end result will almost
always look substandard when using that library in the environment it
was not primarily designed for.

On the other hand, one thing that is missing right now, in D and in
most languages, is a standard way to display graphics. By that I mean
if we had in Phobos a module that could just open a window and let you
draw things in it, it'd make learning programming much more fun and
it'd be useful for rapid prototyping of anything that involves
graphics. It doesn't need to be complicated -- it doesn't even need to
have a GUI -- just drawing things and viewing them somewhere on a
screen would be great. Later on you can add click support, full screen
mode and other features if deemed useful, but the goal would never be
provide bindings for every piece of GUI on all platforms.

So my observation is that a cross platform full-featured GUI will
always fail somewhere (mostly where those platforms differs) whereas a
cross platform drawing module with display capabilities is much more
universally useful, is more easily approachable, and is much less code
to maintain.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com