GUI library for D

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Apr 4 18:29:35 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-04 20:45:49 -0400, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> said:

> I would love that! Actually was thinking at something like that yesterday.
>
> An ideal design (for me) for this kind of exploratory / fun programming
> would be having
> * a drawing frame using most of the screen
> * a minimal terminal frame down there (like in prog editors)
> * a 'control' frame on the left
> The control part beeing firstly for feedback on what happens in the
> drawing part. Eg display range, min/max, average... when drawing a
> function's curve.
> Then, all kinds of sophiscation (control allows input, mouse,
> whatever...) can be added.

Actually, I think it needs to stay simple: provide a drawing area in a
window and let the program draw whatever he wants. I'd leave controls
and other GUI stuff to actual GUI frameworks (at least in a first
incarnation).

> Unfortunately, I really have no idea on how to do that; else, I would
> have developped it already. But I would definitely help, if possible,
> anyone who knows and wants to invest time on such a project.

The first thing needed is an API. Ideally, the API would have the
concept of an image buffer, some primitives to draw in the buffer, and
a way to put the buffer on screen (typically in a window) or elsewhere
(in a PNG file for instance).

It would also be nice to be able to load an image from a file, but
that's a little more complicated.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com