[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

Ishan Thilina ishanthilina at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:37:17 PDT 2011

>Here's how I think we can solve the problem of overlapping projects:
>
>1. One way is to convince one of the students to work on a different
>topic that would also play into his strengths and is of interest to him.
>Any suggestions are welcome, both from the students and the community.

After all the time and energy that I have sacrificed for this project it's really
sad to let go of this project. But if I get an idea I'll definitely post it here :)

>2. Another approach would be to expand the scope of the project. There
>are plenty of interesting containers out there (see e.g.
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/500607/what-are-the-lesser-known-but-cool-data-structures)
>that are darn useful. I suggest students to look over those and answer
>if they'd fell comfortable about implementing e.g. a Bloom filter or a trie.

I looked at few things( such as Skip list, Binary decision tree, Trie, rope) that
was listed in that page. Yes, things such as Skip list and Binary decision tree
looks interesting. But to be honest I have never heard about those data structures
before. So how can I guarantee and point out to a data structure and say that I
will be able to implement this before the end of GSoC ? I may be only able to
implement only two or three data structures before the time ends? It's very hard
to predict on things that you don't know of.

I think learning about these data structures won't be a problem. As there was a
link for a video tutorial for skip list on that page We'll be able to find more
and more resources if we try hard enough( MIT provides lot's videos and we should
be able to find good tutorials). But it'll take some time to learn about them. So
I really can't give a guarantee in the project proposal( if I was asked to
implement these data structures) that I'll be able to implement this much of data
structures.

This is solely my idea, Christian may have a different idea :)