GUI library for D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Apr 5 12:18:31 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:inf285$30n8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-04-05 09:08, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrej Mitrovic"<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>  wrote in message
>> news:mailman.3178.1301970383.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>>
>>> I'll be the first to install it.
>>>
>>> Btw, there's a full web browser example in the QtD sources. But it has
>>> to be ported to D2. And then you have to deal with any eventual bugs
>>> along the way. :]
>>
>> Ha! I may not need to do much after all: I was just looking through
>> Wikipedia's giant list of browsers, found a few that looked potentially
>> promising, tried them all and...well, was mostly disappointed. But the
>> *last* one I had left to try I've been really impressed with so far:
>>
>> Arora (Qt/WebKit)
>> http://code.google.com/p/arora/
>>
>> I've only tried it breifly, but the UI is *actually nice*! Only modern
>> browser out there with a UI that isn't absolutely horrid. I didn't even
>> see
>> *one* instance of invisible-text on my light-on-dark system, which is
>> unbeleivavly rare among all software these days.
>>
>> And it has a lot of essential stuff built in, like ad blocking,
>> disableable
>> JS, and a "ClickToFlash" which I haven't tried out yet. There's still a
>> few
>> things it seems like it might be missing, like equivalents to NoScript,
>> BetterPrivacy and maybe DownloadHelper and DownThemAll, but most of those
>> are less important to me, and even as it is right now it's a damn good
>> start. Maybe I could add some of that remaining stuff, or heck, maybe
>> even
>> port the whole thing to D ;)
>
> I think it looks quite similar to Firefox, at least the Mac OS X version.

On windows it looks *very* different from firefox (unless you count FF 1.x).
Maybe FF actually bothers trying to integrate with the system on OSX, but on
windows the out-of-the-box installs of FF2+ (and especially FF3+) are
skinned, flashy atrocities. Not nearly as horrific as Chrome, but still ugly
as hell. Also Arora doesn't have FF's AwfulBar.

Plus, Arora doesn't have the unified forward/back dropdowns. The unified
forward/back dropdowns sounded good when I first heard about them, but ever
since I tried them I've absolutely hated them.