Settings in CodeBlocks -- D Language

David Wang osx.david at live.com
Tue Apr 5 23:14:23 PDT 2011

==============
My understanding is that Code::Blocks only supports code
completion for D because their fuzzy C++ parser can sometimes
parse D successfully, and that they don't plan to support D
directly. Has this changed?
==============

Acturally everytime when CodeBlocks parses D will be failed.  :(

And for there is no code developer of CodeBlocks using and familar
with D Language, so the support for D will stop here and there's
no further plan in a time.

(CodeBlocks was written in C++ with wxWidgets libraries.)

So, I made a personal decision that I'll start to learn C++
language (I only knows a littel bit C Language :) ), and when I
achive the providing patches level, I'll try to submit patches to
Codeblocks core develop team to improve the D Language support.

I think the biggest problem in CodeBlocks for D Language now is
the 'Code Completion' problem.

I've communicated with them, and I got the feedback as bellow:

**********
There are two major parts of CC(Code Completion), the first part
(we say part A) was collecting tags. we use the parser class and
other helper classes(all the code was under parser- subfolder as
you said) to analyze all the source code, then we store all the
tags(some times, we call Tokens).

The second part( we say Part B) was doing the completion and other
UI tips( eg, when the mouse hover on some ids, there is a function
tip or when you enter some text, then there is a completion list
prompt below your caret), it need to resolve the current code
statement syntax.

Currently CC's code is quite mixing. So, if you want to implement
a D language, you need to implement a part A for D language, and
only modify some code in Part B.

So, if someone be kindly and have the ability to modify the
CodeBlocks source code (svn checkout
http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/codeblocks/trunk), will be a
great help in extending D's IDE for cross-platform area.
(CodeBlocks supports Linux, Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, etc.)

Best reagards.
David.