GUI library for D

Matthias Pleh jens at konrad.net
Wed Apr 6 07:37:19 PDT 2011

Am 06.04.2011 15:21, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2011-04-06 13:38, Matthias Pleh wrote:
>> Am 06.04.2011 11:40, schrieb Nick Sabalausky:
>>> "Matthias Pleh"<jens at konrad.net> wrote in message
>>> news:inh91t$1854$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> My understanding is that Qt also has a compile-time flag that will
>>> make it
>>> actually use the real Win32 controls.
>>>

>> No! When compiling the Qt-library, you can specify a flag for the theme
>> to build. The controls appears then with this theme.
>>
>> On windows you can easaly test this, with Spy++.
>> I've just created a simple window with
>> QHBoxLayout,QGridLayout,QGroupbox,Qlabel,QLineEdit,QTextEdit.
>> But ther is only one win32-control and this is the main-window!
>> You can see this also on the traffic of the windowsmessages.
>> This is so on Windows, maybe Qt use more native controls on other
>> platforms?
>>
>> The problem with OSX is, as I know, that some controls not only look
>> different, but are also different arranged, and this make it more
>> difficult to emulate.
>>
>> °Matthias
>
> DWT handles that fine.

Yeah, that's true.
You will only get the real platform feeling, when you use the native
controls. I was always irritated by the unusual widget of swing.
So such an approach like DWT looks always handier, but don't forget,
you have to maintain all that code for _all_ platforms.
You always get pro's and con's.

°Matthias