[GSOC] more ideas

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Apr 7 05:01:33 PDT 2011

On 25/03/2011 08:45, Don wrote:
> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:54:56 +0200, Trass3r <un at known.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to edit the ideas wiki page without getting another
>>> opinion, so what about:
>>
>> Me too - how about an image library? Being able to load/save popular
>> image formats from/to RGB pixel arrays would be a great start, with
>> everything else a bonus.
>
> I was going to suggest *exactly* the same thing. Just loading the file
> into raw bytes, and saving the raw bytes into a file. And even just PNG,
> BMP, JPEG would be a huge step forward. Optionally GIF as well, now that
> the patents have expired.

Another one that might be work looking at is DWT itself, it has support
for loading and saving the BMP,JPEG,GIF,PNG,TIFF formats. It should be
thread-safe, and not have the same license issues that LGPL has. On the
other hand its image loading capabilities may not be clearly separated
from the whole of the DWT library. It may even be that the code to
save/load images is not performed by DWT itself, but rather uses the
underlying widget platform (win, gtk) to do the imageloading. However I
took a quick glance at the source (like
http://hg.dsource.org/projects/dwt2/file/ddbfe84d86df/org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86/src/org/eclipse/swt/internal/image/JPEGFileFormat.d
), and that doesn't seem to be the case.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer