D Tools Special Interest Group (SIG)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Apr 8 07:20:49 PDT 2011

On 01/04/2011 21:39, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
> On 01/04/11 20.53, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> On 22/03/2011 23:41, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It seems that every now and then a discussion about build tools or D
>>> package management pops up in this group. Many people on this list have
>>> a huge amount of experience and knowledge in this area. Some has even
>>> created their own tools for D.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this has not yet resulted in a standard set of tools
>>> somehow.
>>>
>>> This post is an attempt to collect all the know-how and put it in a
>>> central place. One goal is to use that for forming state-of-the-art
>>> tools for D possible. Another goal is for several people to join forces
>>> since many people means a higher chance of keeping the resulting tools
>>> maintained and improved regularly.
>>>
>>> This does not necessarily suggest that an entirely new tool must be
>>> developed from scratch. Maybe some of the existing ones are best used as
>>> the base. This will probably be the first thing to determine.
>>>
>>> I've create a wikipage that I welcome anyone interested in this area to
>>> add,modify and correct as they see fit.
>>>
>>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ToolSIG
>>>
>>> Let's see if we can keep the ball rolling on this one :)
>>>
>>> /Jonas
>>
>> This is relevant to my inter... err.., I mean, I am interested in this
>> issue. ^^
>>
>> Ok, for starters, you should have called the wiki page (and this thread)
>> D Build Tools, or D Package Management Tools, or something like that.
>> Just "D Tools" is not accurately specific, there many other *kinds* of D
>> tools. Yes, I am the eternal nitpicker.
>
> One of the better tools (DSSS) though not maintained actually falls into
> several of these catergories. Thats why it is just called D tools. But
> maybe it would be better splitting it into several pages. Please change
> the wiki page as you see fit :)
>
> Personally I think DSSS may be a good starting point. It would need to
> be revived and moved to D2.
>
>> As for the issue itself, I mentioned some thoughts on this on the
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/More_on_the_necessity_and_difficulty_of_a_package_management_system_127873.html#N128815
>>

> Nice points.
>
> Please fell free to add it to the wiki page - just to have a central
> place to refer to.
>
> /Jonas

DSSS may fall in both categories (Build, and Package Management), but
not any other. I would add those comments to the wiki, but only if we
rename the title, am I free to do that?... :P But in any case, I don't
think it matters much, to try to proceed with this discussion, unless
someone is actually planning to work on this. ~_~  AFAIK no one is
planning to work on such build tools.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer