Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a GSoC 2011 mentor for Digital Mars

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Apr 8 08:38:52 PDT 2011

On 4/8/11 10:33 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 08/04/2011 09:37, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2011-04-08 02:33, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Jonas Drewsen has been accepted as a mentor for the Google Summer of
>>> Code 2011 program for Digital Mars. He is particularly interested in
>>> topics related to networking.
>>>
>>> Please join me in congratulating and wishing the best to Jonas.
>>>
>>> We have 18 student applications and only 6 mentors. Probably we won't be
>>> able to accept all student applications, but we could definitely use
>>> more mentors. Please apply:
>>>
>>> http://d-programming-language.org/gsoc2011.html
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> Do we need a 1:1 mapping between students and mentors? I though several
>> students were interested in the same topics and perhaps could share a
>> mentor.
>>

> Technically it is allowed, but the GSoC info says that it is not
> recommended, because of the time expenditure involved. They say that
> even for one student mentors often underestimate the amount of time
> necessary to provide good support.
> So I guess it would be up to the mentor, if he really feels up to it.

Yah. That means that the number of approved projects is limited by
min(students, mentors). We have 7 mentors for over student 20 applications.

Experienced members of the community - please consider applying for
mentorship. This is the time to act, and the best answer to the FAQ
"What can I do for D?" On the other hand, please don't take this lightly
as mentoring is a solid commitment that takes real work.

Thanks,

Andrei