GSoC Proposals: Level of Detail

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 15:26:31 PDT 2011

> On 4/8/11 11:35 AM, Luca Boasso wrote:
>> Who is going to interview the students?
>> Will the mentor interested in the student be the interviewer or a
>> selected group of the community?
>
> I plan to interview qualified candidates personally. An interested
> mentor could choose to hold the interview in addition or instead of me.
>
> Andrei

Looks like we got a ton of proposals at the last minute, so we'll
probably need to be selective.  A few questions:

1.  Are you still seriously going to interview every candidate personally?

2.  What, if anything, is Google's role in deciding what proposals get
accepted?

3.  Is there any point in the mentors reviewing the proposals before we
know what makes the interview cut?

4.  Is each mentor supposed to review all of the proposals, or just the
ones in his/her domain that he/she feels qualified to evaluate?  For
example, I feel very comfortable reviewing a proposal about garbage
collection or containers, but I would have little clue what I was doing
if I reviewed an XML proposal.  I'd be able to tell a mediocre XML
proposal from a terrible one, but not a great one from a mediocre one.