simple display (from: GUI library for D)

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:05:12 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 09:50:11PM -0700, Cliff Hudson wrote:
> So is the objective to create a windowing library, or a drawing library for
> (for example) games?

Drawing. I have a windowing library in the works too, but it's much much
more effort (even building off existing ones!) so it won't be ready to share
for a long time still.

> If you are building a drawing library, I'd definitely co-opt an existing one
> (SDL would be a good place, in particular since its license seems favorable
> and the API is well known.)

I actually find SDL's drawing facilities to be almost useless... in my D1
game lib, even doing NES type games, I found it was simply too slow and
redid the graphics with OpenGL.

It's image loaders and sound/music parts are good though.

> I don't know if it is popular with
> this crowd, but Microsoft DirectX or the XNA Framework might be a good place
> to go for pattern ideas as well.

I've heard good things about XNA, but I've never used it...