dmd2-2.052 is only for i386, while you are running amd64 (or dmd2 on FreeBSD)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Apr 9 14:54:55 PDT 2011

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 01:26:49 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+d at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is not plan to have dmd a 64bit executable. There have been
> > reports that you can get it to build but support for it does not
> > exist. However if you are interested in writing 64bit programs the
> > 32bit version can still produce 64bit code with the -m64 flag. This
> > may work for BSD, though it was develop on Linux, I think someone
> > reported it worked?
>
> This really sucks and it means there won't be dmd2 in the official
> ports tree 'cause it's not 1st class citizen. :-(
>
> Otoh, I recall that Walter mentioned he would like to make dmd2
> available for 64bit FreeBSD considering his servers use it.
>
> Well, we're turning to gdc2/ldc2...

On the whole, Walter does not seem to think that it's worth making dmd a 64-
bit executable. I don't think that he's necessarily against _ever_ making it a
64-bit executable, but supporting 64-bit like that is extra work when he
already has a lot on his plate, and he seems to see the gain of having a 64-
bit dmd binary as being minimal. So, for now at least, we only get 32-bit dmd
binaries. But it's easy to get the 32-bit binary running on 64-bit linux, and
I'd expect that to be true with FreeBSD as well, so it's annoying, but it
still works. It might be better to sort out 64-bit dmd after dmd is more
stable with regards to generating 64-bit binaries anyway.

So, yeah, it sucks that dmd is only a 32-bit binary, and there are currently
no plans for it become a 64-bit binary, but it works, and we finally have 64-
bit code generation. So, things are improving, and we may see a 64-bit binary
for dmd one of these days. I certainly don't understand why anyone would
switch to gdc or ldc because dmd is a 32-bit binary. Most 64-bit linux distros
are multilib, and running 32-bit binaries is fairly easy. Maybe it's harder
with FreeBSD though. I don't know. It's your choice though.

- Jonathan M Davis