[GSoC] Container proposals by Ishan and Christian

Ishan Thilina ishanthilina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 05:41:20 PDT 2011

>I thought a lot about the project, the possibility to switch to
>other topics and why I really want to work on containers. So I wrote
>to Ishan (I don’t know the other students) and we discussed all day
>long. It was a fulfilling and positiv conversation with a clear
>result:

Yes, Christian did mail me regarding this matter :-) .

>We both would like to work on containers in a way of cooperation[1]
>- Containers are a big topic and so we can make D to a really
>powerful language. I like them, because they have a very
>interresting theoretical side and they consists of logical
>considerations.

Yes, I agree with Christian. Containers are a big topic and you can add much as
you like to make it even bigger. (The scope will just keep expanding ;) ). So the
topic contains enough work to be covered by two students. So who ever the students
that gets selected to do the project should be able to cooperate with the other
student. We must not forget that at the end of the day the whole work that is done
goes to the benefit of the company no matter who ever does it.

Mr. Alexandrescu points out from the email he sent to the GSoC participants before
the application deadlines that "we will allow
only 1-2 applications on containers" . So there is a possibility of the container
project getting two students accepted. As the D community we should come up with a
plan to decide which data structures should be implemented and seperate and assign
them between the students. It's another story if only one student gets selected to
the project, but it is always good to be prepared early. So if we start early we
will be able to create a solid and a well seperated two project plans on
containers before 25th of Apr letting the students who gets selected( whoever they
are) for the project to start the work early without debating on which data
structures to implement.

Earlier the project starts more data structures will be created ( --> more for D
 :-D)...!