[OT] Spaces/tabs (Was: simple display (from: GUI library for D))

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 10 22:51:57 PDT 2011

> Nick Sabalausky:
> > What, so that he can force his indentation size on everyone else that
> > works on the code? Or so that using the left/right arrow keys within the
> > indentation zone requires an unnessesaraly large number of keypresses?
>
> It's a module theoretically meant for Phobos, and the Phobos coding
> standard are spaces.

Yes. Phobos follows the convention of indenting with spaces and that levels of
indentation are 4 spaces. So, anything which goes into Phobos needs to follow
this convention.

the only way that tabs work is if you use them consistently, which in my
experience almost never happens. And pretty much everywhere that I've worked
has required that spaces be used and no tabs. When people _have_ used tabs,
it's been a mess. Personally, I'm completely against using tabs in source
code.

Regardless, Phobos doesn't use tabs. So, whatever someone may prefer in their
own code, code that they intend to get into Phobos shouldn't use tabs.

- Jonathan M Davis