[OT] Spaces/tabs (Was: simple display (from: GUI library for D))

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 10 23:13:09 PDT 2011

> Am 11.04.2011 07:51, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> >> Nick Sabalausky:
> >>
> >> It's a module theoretically meant for Phobos, and the Phobos coding
> >> standard are spaces.
> >
> > Yes. Phobos follows the convention of indenting with spaces and that
> > levels of indentation are 4 spaces. So, anything which goes into Phobos
> > needs to follow this convention.
> >
> > the only way that tabs work is if you use them consistently, which in my
> > experience almost never happens.
>
> How can people mess that up?

They mix tabs and spaces. On some lines, they use spaces and on others they
use tabs. If the tab size isn't set exactly the same on your machine as
however it was set up on the other person's machine, then the indentation is
totally screwed up. And if multiple people have edited the file, it gets that
much worse. On top of that, even if the rule is to use tabs for indentation
and spaces elsewhere and people are consistent with tabs for indentation,
they'll often use tabs elswhere where they should have used spaces. The only
way that using tabs works is if you're completely consistent with them. You
use tabs where you're supposed to use tabs and spaces where you're supposed to
use spaces, and everyone does the same thing. Odds are, that's not going to
happen - _especially_ if the tabs don't show up differently in your editor and
you can't see when you've screwed up and used tabs when you're not supposed to
or not used them where you are supposed to.

Personally, I think that it's _horrible_ to use tabs, and I know plenty of
programmers who agree, but as with many stylistic things in programming, there
are plenty who would disagree.

- Jonathan M Davis