[OT] open-source license issues

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 10:05:24 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 15:39 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
[ . . . ]
> fine, but a standard library is distributed with D programs. LGPL
> requires you to send source when distributing the library.

I would have to check but as far as I remember the (L)GPL does not
require you to distribute the source with the compiled form if that is
what is distributed, it requires that the end user can get the source
for the compiled form.  From a distribution perspective these are very
different things.  cf. The Maven Repository, which distributes masses of
compiled jar files and no source in sight.

[ . . . ]
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk