dmd2-2.052 is only for i386, while you are running amd64 (or dmd2 on FreeBSD)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Apr 11 13:24:04 PDT 2011

"Gour-Gadadhara Dasa" <gour at atmarama.net> wrote in message
news:20110410081339.04202749 at atmarama.net...

>One of the reasons to switch to FreeBSD was to spend less time
>tinkering with the OS and "just use it".

I recently installed a FreeBSD virtual machine to try to make sure some of
my stuff worked there (Using Sun's^WOracle's VirtualBox). I'm no BSD expert
either, but based on my experiences so far, FreeBSD seems to be *exactly*
the kind of system that you have to spend all day tinkering with just to get
anywhere at all. My first couple installation attempts failed. I finally got
it to install, but I can't even get the damn X11 to run. At all. Someone on
some forum said I needed to run some X11 setup program, but I couldn't get
that to run either. And I'm sure I did install X11 (Hell, I installed
practically everything, including some KDE/GNOME stuff. At the very least I
would think any sensible dependency system would know "Ok, those need X11").

Granted, there are definitely Linux distros that are the same way, too. But
I know firsthand that there are also Linux distros that are *not* like that
(Like Ubuntu, even if some Linux purists might shun it.)