[OT] open-source license issues

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 18:55:40 PDT 2011

Am 11.04.2011 17:40, schrieb Kagamin:
> Kagamin Wrote:
>
>> spir Wrote:
>>
>>> There is a point I don't understand: if I'm right, LGPL as well as all other
>>> "open source", not strictly free-software, licenses allow using licensed
>>> software even for "privative" (proprietary) work. But they wouldn't allow using
>>> software for work licensed under other open-source licenses like the Boost license?
>>> Where's the bug?
>>
>> They can be used, but they can't become proprietary or Boost licensed.
>
> I also wander, what people plan to do with libmysql? It's GPL.

Doesn't mysql even have some retarded restriction like "it's GPL but may
not be used for commercial purposes so buy mysql if you wanna use it to
make money"?

Maybe someone has already reimplemented a mysql-client under a more free
license?

Also: I think most databases (and their libs) are under a license that
is not free enough for Phobos (SQLite is an exception - it's Public
domain - and thus can and should be shipped with Phobos).
So I guess Phobos' DB support should be written in a way that allows
plugging in a DB driver that is distributed independently and under a
different license (this makes sense anyway, because maintaining drivers
for dozens of databases in Phobos is too much work). Maybe we'd need
proper DLL support for that?
This model is used by ODBC and JDBC as well.

Cheers,
- Daniel