[OT] open-source license issues

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 19:35:09 PDT 2011

Am 12.04.2011 04:18, schrieb dsimcha:
> On 4/11/2011 9:55 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Doesn't mysql even have some retarded restriction like "it's GPL but may
>> not be used for commercial purposes so buy mysql if you wanna use it to
>> make money"?
>>

> According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysql) it's dual
> licensed GPL or proprietary.  (Actually it's a slightly modified GPL
> that's **less** restrictive than the vanilla one.)

Hmm.. seems like I've mixed up stuff, I only got my information via hearsay.

However I've looked it up: You can only use MySQL with closed source
software, when you buy a license. Even if you don't touch MySQL's code
itself, because the client library is also under GPL.
I *think* this could be fixed by a custom client library under another
license because then you wouldn't use or link any of MySQLs source but
just communicate with it via TCP or something.

MySQL's license is a bit less restrictive than the GPL, because you may
link it with *any* source using an OSI-Approved (Open Source) license
and not just GPL. That doesn't help with proprietary software, though.

See also: http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/index.html

Cheers,
- Daniel