Anyone interested in simpleaudio.d too?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 21:46:18 PDT 2011

Am 12.04.2011 06:30, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
> I just dug up my old wav.d and quickly added wav.play() support
> to it for both Windows and Linux. Now, this is sucky D1 code,
> but hey, it works, and it's short. If there's interest, I can
> port to D2 and add some range support to it and see about fleshing
> it out.
>
> http://arsdnet.net/dcode/wav.d
>
> Again, this is D1, so be sure to use an appropriate compiler. It's
> dependency free (even on Linux - the only calls it makes are to the
> kernel for open, write, close, and ioctl. It uses the OSS /dev/dsp
> method.
>
> BTW, yes, I know OSS is deprecated. Fuck that noise, ALSA is a piece
> of shit and who the hell even knows what's going on anymore beyond it.
> Seems like every time I turn around there's another half assed new
> Linux audio stack. What the damn son.
>
> OSS is technically superior and *infinitely* easier to use. If I
> decide to post my MIDI code, you'll see what I mean - it uses ALSA
> and takes like 100 lines to do the simplest thing. The Windows
> version of midi, using the *low level* functions was about ten lines
> long...
>
> Besides OSS works on just about any unix, so it's more cross platform
> too. So yeah, I'm sticking to it for any kind of simple audio module.)

Hmm I think for output (both for video and audio) it may really be
smarter to use SDL, because it supports more platforms and supports them
properly (i.e. many different audio systems, well tested support for
them, ...).
Especially if SDL1.3 really is released under zlib-license and maybe
could be shipped with Phobos.

Cheers,
- Daniel