simple display (from: GUI library for D)

teo teo.ubuntu at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 02:21:26 PDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:08:12 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

> teo wrote:
>> XCB (http://xcb.freedesktop.org/) - aims to replace Xlib
>
> I've heard of it, but never used it before. Since I wanted to write this
> quickly I stuck to what I knew (xlib on linux and gdi on windows).
>
> Replacing it later, if necessary, won't be hard (the target specific
> code is only about 300 lines, all straightforward. We were considering
> changing to DirectX / OpenGL a bit later anyway, so the xlib might
> actually be secondary in any case).

Yes, it won't be hard, but it is also not that straightforward, because
XCB is a bit lower-level compared to Xlib.

> But I doubt xlib is going anywhere any time soon. It's older than I am!

Exactly that is the problem. It is old and clumsy (state-of-the-1980s)
and I suspect that Wayland will eventually replace it. Xlib and the X
server will remain there for legacy applications.

Wayland is still alpha, however I would consider at least looking more
closer at it. Currently it uses OpenGL ES (will use OpenGL later) and is
oriented towards the future of Linux graphics. Two of the leading Linux
distributions (Ubuntu and Fedora) stated that they will switch to Wayland
in one of the coming releases.