[OT] open-source license issues

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 02:34:52 PDT 2011

On 04/12/2011 04:06 AM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Well I'd always use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL when having the choice, but
> 1. often MySQL needs to be used because it's already there
> 2. PostgreSQL uses the BSD-License which also isn't suitable for Phobos.
>
> BTW: I think PHP has a native SQL driver (under their BSD-style PHP
> license) - maybe that could be adapted to be used with D, if it's
> written in C. This still couldn't be shipped with Phobos, but at least
> there are no stupid restrictions on using it for commercial software.

I don't understand this story of shipping, neither. It seems to me D's style
rather pushes to reuse libs (esp written in C), that users (both programmer &
end-user) are forced to install anyway. Licenses that allow reuse (and
shipping) provided a copyright note is properly inserted do not change anything
for me.

Instead, I find this copyright note, not only *extremely* light, but also fair,
and even nice. In my views, people who do not agree with that are the kinds who
want to freely take from a community and give nothing back in exchange (rather
corporations in fact); not even attribute their work to authors. Bad and sad :-(

Denis